This simple and quick recipe is great for entrees or just a light snack.
It is healthier than tempura prawns or prawn cocktails as it does not involve any frying and looks interesting on the plate.
- 1 packet kataifi, kept out for a few hours until it is room temperature
- 500gr prawns
- 1 egg
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Seasoning of your choice (I used an African-style rub mix)
1. Heat oven to 200C.
2. Peel and de-vein prawns, leaving the tails on.
3. Take some kataifi out gently and put it in a small bowl. Separate some of the strands so it is easier to work with.
4. Beat the egg with a fork and add salt, pepper and your choice of seasoning.
5. Lay the kataifi strands out in a long line. Place the prawn at the top of the strand and roll it down to the bottom until covered. Place on an oiled tray.
6. Once all prawns are covered in kataifi, place tray in the oven and bake for about 15 minutes, or until pastry is golden and crispy.