Looking for a different take on the usual summer pav? Or do you want a quick and easy dessert option which looks unique and Christmassy?
Well look no further, TCFB has your back!
This recipe was made using left over eggs from my mum’s annual Sri Lankan Christmas Cake. It is best to make it on a day that isn’t too humid as moisture could affect how they turn out.
I thought I would add some red food colouring to mix it up a little and also added almond flavouring for something different, but you can add whatever flavour you like (peppermint is popular too).
Try it out yourself and let me know how you go!
- 12 egg whites, kept at room temperature
- 3 cups caster sugar
- 1/2 Tsp salt
- Red food colouring (or you could use green)
- Almond essence (you could use any flavour you like)
1. Preheat oven to 120C (fan forced).
2. Spray trays with olive oil.
3. Place egg whites in a large bowl. Add salt and beat with an electric mixer until “soft peaks” form (about 4-5 minutes).
4. Add half a cup of caster sugar then beat incorporate it into the egg white mixture.
5. Repeat step 4 until all the caster sugar is mixed in and “stiff peaks” form.
6. Add a bit of red food colouring and gently swirl it into the mixture (do not mix).
7. Dollop onto trays in large mounds.
8. Bake in oven for about 50-60 minutes.
9. Open oven door but leave the trays in there while the meringues cool.