This recipe is adapted from one I found in Maureen McKeon’s book, Crave.
- 175g chopped chocolate
- 175g butter
- 1 Tbsp vanilla essence
- 4 eggs, separated
- 185g caster sugar
- 100g ground almond (I used almond meal)
- 60g plain flour
- 1/4 Tsp cream of tartar
- Icing sugar to dust
1. Preheat oven to 180C and butter and line a 20 x 30cm cake tin.
2. Melt chocolate and butter in a heatproof bowl in the microwave. Stir to mix together and allow to cool.
3. Use an electric mixer to beat egg yolks, vanilla extract and 115g of the sugar for 2 minutes, until thickened.
Stir this into the melted chocolate mixture.
4. Add almond meal and flour and stir. Set aside.
5. Use clean dry beaters to beat the egg whites and cream of tartar until stiff peaks form. Continue to beat and gradually add in the remaining sugar, beating until it has dissolved into the mixture.
6. Fold the egg white mixture into the melted chocolate mixture in two batches.
7. Pour the mix into the cake tin and bake for 30 minutes.
8. Allow to cool completely on a wire rack then turn out and cut into squares.
9. Dust with icing sugar and serve.