While most kids had to be forced to eat vegetables, I was one of the few who never had to be told twice. I’ve never had an issue with eating my greens and despite the fact that I have a sweet tooth, I love fruit and veg.
It is even better knowing that they are healthy as I like to think that they counteract all the junk food that I also enjoy!
Broccolini is a brand of baby broccoli, owned by Perfection Fresh Australia. I was provided with some samples for a recipe that I’ve been wanting to try out. Broccolini is perfect for this dish because, unlike potatoes, Broccolini is not as starchy and dense. It is also better than regular Broccoli as the longer stalks mean the Broccoli won’t get soggy in the cheesy sauce.
- 2 bunches fresh Broccolini
- 2 cloves garlic, chopped
- 1/4 onion, thinly sliced
- 200grams butter
- 1 cup milk
- 3/4 cup plain flour
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 100grams Tasty cheese, grated
- 150grams Mozzarella cheese
1. Wash Broccolini and steam in a pan of boiling water for about 1-2 minutes or until the Broccolini changes colour to a bright green. When this happens, spread the Broccolini out in an oven-proof dish.
2. In another pan fry garlic and onion with a little butter. Then melt the butter over medium heat.
Add flour and stir until it is all mixed in. Reduce stove to low and then add milk. Stir in until the mixture is thick and creamy.
4. Turn the stove off and add the Mozzarella cheese to the mixture, stirring until it is incorporated into the cheesy sauce. Season with some salt and pepper.
5. Pour the cheesy sauce over the Broccolini and top with grated Tasty cheese.
6. Place under the grill (on high) and bake for about 5 minutes or until the cheese begins to turn golden.