Looking for an easy mid-week Dinner? Or a healthy lunch to take to work or school? Well I have the perfect recipe for you!
This quiche is so easy to make, is healthy, tastes delicious, and best of all can be made with almost any vegetables. You could add mushrooms, capsicum, red onion, broccoli, etc. The possibilities are endless!
For the vegetarians out there who are OK with eating eggs- just leave out the bacon.
Here’s how to make it:
- 1 sheet puff pastry
- 3 eggs
- 150mL thickened cream
- 200mL milk
- Pepper and salt to taste
- 1 Tbs olive oil
- 1/2 cup bacon rashers, diced
- 1/2 zucchini, grated
- 1/2 large carrot, grated
- 1 leek, thinly sliced
- 1 brown onion, thinly sliced
- 1-2 cloves of garlic, diced finely
- Cheese, grated- I used cheddar, edam and tasty cheese (you need enough of each to just sprinkle over the quiche)
- Spray olive oil
1. Preheat oven to 180C.
2. Lightly grease a quiche pan with spray oilve oil. Line the pan with puff pastry sheets. Place a sheet of baking paper on top and half-fill with dry beans or rice (see blind-baking). Bake for 10 minutes, then remove the paper and beans and bake for a further 10 minutes. Remove from oven.
3. Wash and prepare vegetables (as per above)
4. Heat the olive oil in a pan over med-high. Add onion and garlic and stir until onion turns see-through. Add bacon and leek and cook on high until bacon turns a little brown. Remove pan from heat.
5. Sprinkle the bacon/leek/onion mixture evenly over the pastry.
6. Sprinkle the zucchini, and then the carrot evenly on top of the bacon/leek/onion mixture.
7. Grate some cheese over the quiche.
8. In a separate bowl whisk 3 eggs, some salt and pepper, cream and milk. Pour the egg mixture over the quiche.
9. Reduce the oven to 160C (fan forced) and bake for about 30 minutes or until the top turns slightly golden.
10. Serve on its own or with salad.