This time I made pistachio with rose water icing for my graduation dinner tomorrow.
Here’s the recipe:
- 1 cup icing sugar
- 1/2 cup almond meal
- 1/4 cup ground pistachios
- 2 large room temperature egg whites
- 1/2 Tsp cream of tartar
- 1/4 cup caster sugar
- Few drops each blue and yellow food colouring (I used about 2-3 drops of each)
- Icing sugar, butter and rose water essence for filling
1. Pulse icing sugar, ground pistachios and almond meal in a food processor until combined.Sift mixture 2-3 times.
2. Preheat oven to 190 degrees (C).
3. Whisk whites with a mixer on medium speed until foamy.
4. Add cream of tartar and beat until soft peaks form.
5. Reduce speed to low, then add caster sugar. Increase speed to high, and whisk until stiff peaks form, about 8 minutes.
6. Sift flour mixture over whites, and fold until mixture is smooth and shiny.
8. Add food colouring and fold until shiny and combined.
9.Transfer mixture into a pastry bag fitted with a 1/2-inch round tip, and pipe 3/4-inch rounds onto a baking sheet with two layers of baking paper.
Tip 1: spray the top sheet of baking paper with spray oil to stop the macarons sticking.
Tip 2: Use a jug to hold your pastry bag upright while filling it- makes for a less messy job!
10. Tap bottom of each sheet on the bench top to release trapped air and let it stand at room temperature for 15 minutes.
11. Reduce oven temperature to 160 degrees (C). Bake 1 sheet at a time, rotating halfway through, until macarons are crisp and firm, about 10 minutes in total. After each batch, increase oven temperature to 190 degrees (C), heat for 5 minutes, then reduce to 160 degrees (C).
12. Let macarons cool for 2 to 3 minutes, then transfer to a wire rack.
Tip: If macarons stick, spray water underneath baking paper- the steam will help release them from the paper.
13. Sandwich 2 same-size macarons with 1 teaspoon filling.
Filling: You can use anything you want but I made up a simple mixture of icing (follow instructions on icing sugar packet) with rose water and pink food colouring.