This delicious afternoon tea cupcake will go down a treat! Try it for yourself and send us some photos!
For the cupcakes:
- 2.25 cups plain flour
- 1/4 cup cocoa powder
- 1-2 Tsp chocolate essence/flavouring
- 1 Tsp bicarbonate of soda
- 1 Tsp baking powder
- 1.5 cups) caster sugar
- 1 cup buttermilk (or see the post above on how to make buttermilk)
- 200g melted unsalted butter
- 2 eggs, lightly whisked
- 1 Tbs white vinegar
- 1 Tsp vanilla extract
- 1/4 Tsp ground cinnamon
- 3 Tsp red food colouring
- 1/4 cup mixed berry puree (strained to remove seeds)
For the cream cheese frosting:
- 500g cream cheese
- 2 cups icing sugar, sifted
- 120g butter – room temperature
- 1 Tsp vanilla essence
1. Preheat oven to 180°C and line muffin pans with patty pans.
2. Sift flour, cocoa powder, cinnamon powder, baking powder and bicarbonate of soda into a large bowl. Stir through the sugar until all mixed in.
3. Whisk the buttermilk, melted butter, eggs, chocolate essence, vinegar and vanilla essence in a separate bowl until combined.
4. Make a well in the centre of the flour mixture and add the liquid mixture and berry puree. Stir until just combined.
5. Add food colouring and stir in.
6. Divide the mixture among the lined pans and bake for 20-25 minutes or until a skewer inserted into the centres comes out clean. Transfer to a wire rack to cool completely.
7. To make the icing beat cream cheese, icing sugar, extra butter and extra vanilla until smooth. Spread over cupcakes.