Here is my recipe for quick and easy scones!
- 3 cups self-raising flour
- 80g cubed butter (room temperature)
- 1 cup milk
- 1/2 Tsp baking powder
- Jam and whipped cream, to serve
- Plain flour, for dusting
- Preheat oven to 200C. Sprinkle some flour on a baking tray.
- Sift self-raising flour into a large bowl.
- Rub the butter into flour until it is all mixed in evenly.
- Make a well in the centre of the mixture and add the milk.
- Mix with a flat-bladed knife until mixture forms a dough.
- Turn onto a lightly floured surface.
- Knead gently until smooth and the dough sticks together. Don’t knead for too long or the scones will be tough and chewy.
- Flatten dough with your palms until it is 2cm-thick and cut out rounds using a cutter (you can do small mini ones or large ones but try not to go much bigger than 5cm diameter.
- Place scones on the baking tray and sprinkle tops with a little plain flour.
- Bake for 20 -25 minutes or until golden and well risen.
- Transfer to a wire rack. Serve warm with jam and whipped cream
I recommend strawberry or blackberry jam to serve, and the scones are best when they are warm, a few minutes out of the oven!